Juan L. Sanchez Senior Software Engineer
- Worked for higher education institutions, nonprofit organizations, global corporations, and startups in the Greater New York City area.
- Language agnostic technology enthusiast.
- Experience with various frameworks and technology stacks including LAMP, MEAN, Laravel, Flask and Tornado.
- Over 9 years of professional development experience.
- Strong backend, frontend, and application developer with a wide skill set.
- Project management and on-site/off-site supervisory experience.
- Experience developing Android applications.
- Experience with agile, iterative, and waterfall development methodologies.
Pitney Bowes, NYC – May 2013 to Present
Senior Software Engineer, R&D
Pitney Bowes acquired Borderfree in May 2015. Focused on maintaining and adding additional features into the product categorization, reporting/auditing, and duty & tax calculation platforms built at Borderfree. Advised on architect and direction of an internal warehouse mobile application. Part of team that built Pitney’s first ever Customer Account Management platform which allowed further immersion by customers of our merchants by centralizing a preferences-delegated offer system. Additionally, customers can perform address and credit card management for use on any merchant website that utilizes BFX / Borderfree Touchless.
Responsibilities included maintaining and adding new features into existing platforms, and architecting and tech advisory of new projects.
Borderfree, NYC May 2013 to May 2015
Software Engineer, R&D
Heavily focused on building scalable and maintainable applications that are performant and efficient. Heavy utilization of Bamboo based continuous integration and deployment. Have led the development of, participated in the development of, or maintained applications written in Python, Java, Scala, PHP, and NodeJS. Led construction of an internal API based unified login service used by Port51.com utilizing PHP, Laravel 4, and Laravel 5. Participated heavily in the redevelopment and rearchitecting of the Borderfree product categorization, reporting/auditing, and duty & tax calculation platforms utilizing a mix of technologies like NodeJS, Python, AngularJS, RabbitMQ, MongoDB, Flask, and Tornado, which led to the $395 million acquisition of Borderfree by Pitney Bowes.
Responsibilities included planning, architecting, and implementation of new applications, maintenance of old codebase, and RDBMS/NoSQL schema planning with an emphasis on performance, scalability, and redundancy through distribution.
Touro College, NYC July 2009 to May 2013
Web Developer & System Administrator
Led planning, architecture and implementation of new websites as well as maintained old ASP.net websites and applications. Acted as lead system administrator for the public facing web stack, which consisted of in-house blade and cloud servers running LAMP/ LNMP stacks. My recommendations allowed Touro to remain in communication with students via the website in NYC during the week-long power loss at the main 23rd Street campus caused by superstorm Sandy due to the built in redundancy of the web stack.
Responsibilities included planning, architecting and implementation of web properties for all colleges and programs in the Touro university system, maintenance of old ASP web applications. I also played a key role in the planning of the redesign and redevelopment of the university website and was the administrator of multiple cloud and hardware-based servers, including performing hardware and software upgrades.
LMG digitalMedia (LMGdM), NYC September 2008 to June 2009
Served as lead web developer leading a team of web developers spanning 3 countries (India, Argentina, and the US). Together, we developed new websites and custom content management systems. I also helped manage and update the CentOS and RHEL web servers.
Responsibilities included the development of websites for multiple clients – including interfacing with multiple online API’s. I played a key role in the development of a potential social network and specialized in rapid prototyping and iterative development. I was also responsible for task delegation and team orientation between the three development teams.
Juan L. Sanchez, NYC January 2007 to Present
Freelance Software Engineer
Serving as a freelance software engineer for small and regional businesses, and individuals, I have built sustainable, scalable, and cost efficient web architectures in AWS, DigitalOcean, and Rackspace for various clients. I have led planning and implementation of multiple websites and mobile applications by interfacing with clients, designers, and developers. My tasks for most projects include managing designers to ensure client specifications were met, as well as engaging, managing and mentoring developers on the specific projects. Lastly, I also provide web hosting and support for certain clients.
– I have developed high availability and high traffic websites (millions of monthly users), Android apps, APIs (from personal use APIs to B2B APIs), Chrome extensions, and standalone daemons/desktop apps.
– Strong communication and leadership skills, good project management abilities and knowledge of scalability and optimization methods.
– PHP, Python, Go, Scala, SQL, HTML, JS, CSS, XML, JSON.
– jQuery, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis, Angular 2, CodeIgniter, Flask, Laravel, Apache, Nginx, Varnish, Rackspace Cloud, JIRA, Bamboo, Digitalocean, AWS.
– PhpStorm, PyCharm, Aptana Studio 3, Eclipse, Sublime 3, WordPress, Photoshop, Lightroom, GIMP, GNU nano, Microsoft Office Suite + Visio, Pencil, Fiddler, PhpMyAdmin, t4/TERMINALFOUR.
– Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL, FreeBSD, Windows, OSX
St. John’s University
Unfinished Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, September 2007, 3.7 GPA